- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- 3 dried red chile peppers
- 2 cups toasted unsalted American peanuts
- 1 (3 1/2 pound) head of cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
1. Heat the canola oil with the cumin seeds, turmeric powder, and chile peppers in a large pot or wok over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the chiles become smoky (about 3 minutes).
2. Add the peanuts and cook for 2 minutes, to brown them slightly and heat them up.
3. Add one-half of the cabbage and all of the peas; stir to combine with the herbs. When, after about 2 minutes, the cabbage starts to wilt, stir in the remaining cabbage. Cook, stirring often, until the volume has reduced by one-third and the cabbage looks somewhat browned around the edges (about 15 to 30 minutes, depending on your pot or wok). Mix in the salt and serve warm or at room temperature.