3-Ingredient Double Chocolate Mousse (Low Carb, Egg Free and Dairy Free)
My latest obsession. This ‘chocolate mousse in minutes.’
No eggs. No dairy. And only 3 ingredients to thick, creamy and rich chocolate mousse that happens to be low carb and real really good for you.
So, what’s the big secret? It’s no secret really, but it is a secret weapon that has the low carb, Paleo and clean eating world going mad. And most recently….me too.
Coconut cream. Aaaaahhhh coconut cream — which has apparently become my latest obsession.
A few years ago on Instagram, I was one of those stalker followers, following all sorts of ‘clean foodie’ accounts, promising myself I’d make everything they’d posted. Of course, I never did. But I did save about 50 million screen shots of everything they made. That is…until I replaced my phone and lost those 50 million screen shots of everything they made.
One thing I remember very clearly was refrigerated coconut milk or cream being the saviour of many, acting as whipped cream or pudding with the added health benefits of ‘good for you fats.’
However, while eating plain whipped coconut cream out of the bowl is freaking awesome….I was long overdue for a chocolate fix. Eyeing off the cocoa powder in my kitchen…remembering back to the good old days when it was cool to mix cocoa powder with yogurt to get that type of fix…I accidentally on purpose spilled some into my bowl to test it out and see what it would become.
And got this here result. Something I honestly never thought to try, instead holding my nose up high being the ‘real food only please’ snob I was. Until a couple months ago. And so happy I did.
I’m sure there have been many foodies before me to have done this. But I had to share this one. Because not only is it whipped-and-so-thick-and-creamy-and-rich-that-your-mouth-waters-while-eating-this-thing…you then get the crunch of shaved chocolate in every mouthful.
So, going that onnnnnnne step further as per usual… if you make this…you absolutely have to reserve some already whipped cream for the topping. And then sprinkle with more chocolate.
You know what I mean?
Then mentally prepare yourself for the richest and most decadent dessert that’s no longer low in fat (because high fat is better for you, until they decide other wise), but full of beautiful silky smooth chocolate.
Layers on layers on layers…
Weight Watchers: 5pp per serve (out of 8 serves)
- 2x 400ml (13.7oz) cans full fat coconut cream or coconut milk *See Notes
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sweetener (or confectioners | icing sugar if not counting carbs)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt (optional! About ¼ teaspoon. Adjust to your tastes)
- 20g | 2 squares 70% chocolate, shaved (optional for extra richness — or sugar free chocolate chips)
- extra shaved chocolate to garnish
- Place sealed cans of coconut cream (or milk) in the refrigerator overnight. Without shaking the cans, open and scoop out the thick cream sitting at the top over the water. Transfer the cream to a bowl and discard the liquid left in the cans.
- Add the sweetener (or sugar) and beat on high using a hand mixer (or whisk) until thick and creamy (about 1-2 minutes). Reserve about 4 tablespoons of the plain ‘whipped cream’ to use as a topping to serve with (optional), and set aside.
- Fold the cocoa powder and salt through the cream and beat (or whisk) again until smooth, well combined and thick. Fold through the shaved chocolate. Depending on the coconut milk you use, a mousse will form almost immediately once the cocoa powder is mixed through. If not, refrigerate until set and ready to serve, or serve immediately. Dollop the ‘plain whipped cream’ over the mousse and sprinkle with shaved chocolate (if using).